It is hard to believe that Sweet September will coming to a close this weekend. The month seemed like a blur to me but it was expected with all that went on: kicked off my 10th year of teaching, sent R off to Kindergarten, participated in the Run, White & Blue 1-Mile fun run/walk with the kids (running most of it to keep up with them!) and the ALS 2-mile walk in Rehoboth, and of course welcomed Little Miss LC into the world. Since LC’s arrival we have been cuddling and loving life as well as the sunny days. We have ventured out on a few walks and feel stronger each day!
October has LOTS of racing options with different distances and of course a few costume races if you are going for more of the “fun” route. There are also some free events! Check out what is going on:
Sunday, October 1st:
- VP 5k 17– This is a free 5k event taking place in Salisbury, MD at Vernon Powell. The free family event starts at 4pm (rain or shine). You can buy a race shirt for $10.00 which 100% of the proceeds get donated to a local charity. They giveaway the BEST prizes at this event so even if you come to walk it is worth the trip. One year I won a free pair of New Balance tennis shoes! You can also enjoy hot dogs, beer and other snacks after the race. One warning: the race is mainly on a trail behind VP. While strollers can absolute navigate the course it can be difficult at some parts. Just plan to not break any records and instead have some FREE FUN! More details can be found here: http://www.vpshoes.com/pdfs/5KRaceInfo&Waiver2017.pdf
- Taste of Sposato Wine 5k– Milton, DE. Come out to the Sposato Landscape Facility in Milton, Delaware for the 2nd wine 5k. The race starts at 9:00 AM with registration opening at 8:00AM. Participants will enjoy a “hip” race t-shirt, 1 wine glass with a glass of wine (21 and older of course) along with other post race refreshments. To register visit: http://www.races2run.com/events/taste-of-sposato-wine-5k
Saturday, October 7th:
- 7th Dewey Goes Pink 5k– Starboard, Dewey Beach, DE. Break out all the things pink and help raise money for the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition. The race is capped at 2700 participants so sign up now to secure your spot! If you sign up in the next 36 hours you can use code DEWEY to save $5.00 off registration! To register or learn more visit: https://raceroster.com/events/2017/13836/7th-annual-dewey-goes-pink
Saturday, October 14th:
- Ashley Furio 5k for the Children’s Beach House– Crooked Hammock- Lewes, DE. 5k race will start at 9:00 Am with a kiddie K kicking off the event at 8:45. The race also offers a Crooked Crawl for those not wanting to run but still participate. To learn more or register visit: https://raceroster.com/events/2017/13520/2nd-annual-ashley-furio-5k-runwalk
Sunday, October 15th:
- Herring Point 5k & 10k Classic– Herring Point, Cape Henlopen State Park. This race takes place on one of my favorite running trails in the state, Gordon’s Pond Trail! The race starts at 9:00AM. To register visit: https://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/4th-herring-point-5k-10k-classic
- Big Thursday on Sunday 5k Run/walk & Festival– Bowers Beach, DE. Come visit the Bowers Beach Maritime Museum and run in the 5k! Kiddie K starts at 8:50 with the 5k race starting at 9AM. To learn more about this event visit: http://www.trisportsevents.com/index.cfm?ref=50200&ref2=98
Saturday, October 21st:
- ALL-4-ONE 5k Run/Walk: Dover International Speedway. This first year race will run you around the Speedway grounds and finish with a lap around the famous “monster mile”. The race starts at 9, with registration opening at 8am. Learn more or register visit: http://www.races2run.com/events/all-4-one-5k/
Sunday, October 22nd:
- Mariner’s Bethel 7 Miler & 5k Trail Run. Camp Barnes, Frankford, DE. This is one of my all time favorite races! The race starts at Camp Barnes and runs through the beautiful Assawoman Wildlife Refuge. Another MAJOR perk of the race is the amazing spread of food for the post race party! The ladies from the church go ALL OUT and make soups, salads, baked goods and other food items to fill your belly after the trail run! The race starts at 1:00 pm. To register visit: https://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/15th-mariners-bethel-7m-5k-trail-run-1m3m-walk
Saturday, October 28th:
- Seaside 10 Miler & 5k– Ocean City Inlet. This out and back ten miler is the perfect tune up run for your fall half marathon training. The race starts at 9:00 AM and all 10-mile finishers will receive a medal! Dress in costume to add some more fun to the run! To register visit: http://octrirunning.com/ocean-city-md-running-event/seaside-10-mile-run5k/
- Fordham & Dominion 5k & 10k– Fordham Brewery- Dover, DE. Check out this Brew Run starting at 9:30 to kick off the Dominion Octoberfest brew. The race starts and finishes at the brewery and features live music followed by a food truck festival at 10AM. All finishers receive a Beer Stein and a custom coaster. Be sure to break out the costume and enter the costume contest! You can also join Courtney’s team: 10keggers when you register! To learn more visit: https://runsignup.com/Race/DE/Dover/FordhamDominionRun
Sunday, October 29th:
- Sneakers & Creepers 5k Run/Walk– PRMC- Salisbury, MD. Another free family fun event to kick off your day with some fitness! Break out the costume one more time and have some fun! The race starts at 9:30 with packet pickup/registration opening at 7:30. To learn more visit: https://www.peninsula.org/events/sneakers-creepers-5k-runwalk-2017
- Seawitch Fall 5k Classic- Grove Park- Rehoboth Beach, DE. Always a packed race for a packed weekend at the beach the Seawith 5k features a scenic beach run. Long sleeve shirts are guaranteed for the first 400 registrants so sign up early to secure yours! The race starts at 9:00 am but arrive early so you can find parking! To register visit: https://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/28th-seawitch-fall-5k-classic
So what races do you have on your schedule for October? I would love to complete at least one of these races so keep your eye out for the Jones gang…. you never know what starting line you may see us at!
If you do run any races this month, be sure to submit your race review over at Race Advisors!