While September means Labor Day and back-to-school to most, one event that sticks out to me is the Run, White & Blue 5k that takes place at Del Tech in Georgetown, Delaware. Last year the race took place on a Thursday night and a couple of hundred people came out to support a scholarship fund that Delaware Technical Community College raises for First Responders and Veterans. You can read the 2016 recap here , but today I want to highlight the race details and some reasons that YOU need to check out the 2017 Run, White and Blue 5k event!
- Thursday, September 7th
- Registration opens at 5PM with the race starting at 6PM. There will also be a pre-race warm up hosted by World Gym Millsboro starting at 5:30PM.
- Location- Delaware Technical Community College- Owens Campus: Georgetown, Delaware. The registration takes place in the student services building.
- Online Registration Website: https://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/4th-annual-run-white-blue-5k-run-1m-walk
Now that you know the basic details here are the reasons that YOU need to run this race this year:
- Family-Fun Event. While the event itself is advertised as a 5k, there is much more than 3.1 course that is offered. Before and after the race there was tables and activities for kids of all ages! The flyer for this years event states “family friendly games and games” so be sure to bring your favorite little cheerleaders along!
- Post Race Food. This race by far had the biggest food spread that I have encountered in the my 9+ years of running local 5k races. There were snowballs (snowy), ice cream (Vanderwende’s) , pizza, beer (Mispillion River Brewing), and multiple other tables of food that were offered after the race. It was quite impressive and I had a hard time deciding on what I wanted so of course Reagan and I sampled a little bit of everything! There was a food/drink/dessert choice for EVERYONE! It was down right awesome! Besides the information of “Cook Out” it does not state if the same vendors from last year will be there but I will be crossing my fingers and toes that they will be!
- Great Organization/Plenty of Parking. As soon as we pulled into Del Tech we knew exactly where to go due to all the volunteers and helpers. There was plenty of parking available and there was never a moment of “umm where should I be going?” which is always nice, especially when you have a 4 year old with you. The course was well marked- as it was a double loop so knowing when to make the crucial turn to finish was pretty important. Overall it was a well oiled machine that night and I do not expect anything less this year.
- Day and Time of Event. Sometimes weekends can be so jammed packed with events that it easy to miss a local 5k that is going on- this event takes place on a Thursday afternoon/night so you do not have that “weekend plans” excuse! Look at it as a way to jump start your weekend fitness or even burn off those extra Labor Day calories you might have consumed!
- Course. The Run, White & Blue Course is a double loop course around the Del Tech Campus. While I do not always love having to run the same portion twice it is a nice alternative to an out-and-back course. The course gives a nice little tour of the campus and all its offerings as well!
Like last year I was given a free entry in return for a blog post about/after the race. Last year I pushed Reagan in the BOB and we cleared a sub 30 finish which I was happy with- especially after a day with 200+ Middle Schoolers! This year the race will only be a few days before the arrival of Baby Jones #3 so I will be more than likely just doing the 1 Mile walk unless I have some sudden burst of energy to do the 5k walk. I will be there enjoying the event and sharing some fitness and fun with my kids and hopefully even drag my husband along this year!
I hope to see you at the starting line of the Run, White & Blue 5k this year on September 7th! Have you signed up for the event yet???