As I was drinking my coffee this morning and started thinking about what my next few weekends would entail I started thinking about all the local races coming up. This month is SO FULL of races all over the peninsula I figured it was time for a Fall Race Round-Up so you would know all the available options and hopefully run in a few! I know I will be running in at least one, maybe more of these local races but marathon training calls and I am in need of longer runs this month, plus a few of us will be heading out of town for the Baltimoron-a-thon next weekend! Cheers to a double race day, smiles and miles (5k + Half)!
Here is the breakdown of races each weekend from now until Halloween. Do not fret- a full on Turkey Trot Round-Up will be coming in a few weeks because I know we all need a few extra miles after all that pumpkin pie 🙂
Saturday, October 8th:
- Dewey Goes Pink 5k. Looking at past pictures this race has been a huge success with tons of PINK! The race starts at 11:30 with registration starting at 9:30 AM! At this point pre-registration is closed but you can register in person on Friday from 4-7 at the Starboard or the morning of the race. Be sure to deck yourself out in pink and join the other hundreds of runners and walkers turn Dewey Pink in support of Breast Cancer! To find out more information, visit: http://deweygoespink.com/
- LINKS to the BAY 5k. This race takes place at the Bayside (The Point, which is the most beautiful spot of the community!). It starts at 8:30 and your race fee includes a breakfast and bloody mary bar, wildlife demonstration, music, t-shirt, children’s activities and an awards ceremony. TO register to find out more information, visit: http://octrirunning.com/ocean-city-md-running-event/links-to-the-bay-5k/
Sunday, October 9th:
- Hopefully there are some races going on… however after my quick search of local racing websites I did not find any.
Saturday, October 15th:
- Inaugural Ashley Furio Memorial 5k for the Children’s Beach House. According to races2run.com this race starts at 9:00 am with the kiddie k at 8:55 and registration/packet pickup opening at 8:00. This race takes place at the Crooked Hammock which such a cool place located in Lewes, Delaware. To find out more information about the race, visit: http://www.races2run.com/events/ashley-furio-memorial-5k/
- Live Life Like ROB LLRB 5k Run/I mile Fun Run/Walk. This race is in honor of Rob that was taken way too soon while out for a run last year. The race in his honor will take place at the Ocean City Boardwalk, starting at the inlet parking lot at 9:00. Day of registration and packet pick up start at 8:00. For more information or to register, visit: http://octrirunning.com/ocean-city-md-running-event/links-to-the-bay-5k/
Sunday, October 16th:
- 3rd Herring Point 5k & 10k. This race starts at 9:00 am and takes place at the Cape Henlopen State Park (Herring Point area). This race takes you on my favorite Delaware Trail, Gordon’s Pond Trail. This race is bound to be the most beautiful race EVER as I love this trail and all the incredible views! To register visit: http://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/3rd-herring-point-5k-10k-classic ** To get to Herring Point inside CHSP, pas the park fee entrance area, make the first left, and first right. Follow signs to Biden Center. Past Biden Center on the left**
- Walk With Me & 5k Fun Run Delmarva. This walk and fun run takes place at Baywood Greens with check in starting at 3pm, the run starting at 3:45 and the walk at 4:00. This is a 3.2 mile course that runs along the first 9 holes of Baywood Greens. There will be soup, sandwiches and refreshments after the walk/run. For more information, visit: http://es.easterseals.com/site/TR/WalkWithMe/WWMDelaware?pg=entry&fr_id=3734
- Big Thursday on Sunday 5k Run/Walk. This race takes place at the Bowers Beach Maritime Museum in Federica, Delaware. The race starts at 9:00 am with the kiddie k starting at 8:50. For more information or registration, visit: http://www.trisportsevents.com/index.cfm?ref=50200&ref2=98
Saturday, October 22nd:
- Believe in Tomorrow Beach Respite 5k. This race takes place in the Bayside development (behind Harris Teeter) at 3:00 pm, Saturday afternoon. The Believe Tomorrow Foundation (http://believeintomorrow.org/) is truly amazing and helps benefit children with critical diseases. They have a respite house in Ocean City and this race helps support that. Registration will take place at the Cove Bar & Grill. There is plenty of parking for this race, plus you get to run through my favorite community! To register, visit: http://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/inaugural-believe-tomorrow-beach-respite-5k
- Making Strides of Ocean City, MD 5k Run and Walk. This race takes place on the Ocean City Boardwalk, starting at the inlet. Registration starts at 7:30 with the run starting at 9 and the walk at 9:15. If registering, feel free to join the “4 the Girls” team and add to their awesome fundraising efforts. Visit this link to donate, register or more information: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCCY16SA?team_id=2014915&pg=team&fr_id=77358
- Boooo-B-Que 5k Run/Walk. I have had my eye on this fun race since last year! It starts at the Indian River Inlet, Delaware Seashore State, South Inlet Campground area and runs over the Indian River Inlet bridge!!! The race is part of the Booo-B-Que weekend fun and registration starts at 8:00 with the race starting at 9:00am. The BBQ festival starts at 11 so stick around for the run! There is also a kiddie 1/4 mile run before the start of the race so bring the kids along for the fun! As I mentioned the course is an out and back with 2 opportunities to run over the bridge! For more information on the race or the weekend visit: https://runsignup.com/Race/DE/BethanyBeach/Boooobqrun
- Fifer’s Orchards Harvest Hustle 5k Run/Walk. Just the though of this race makes me crave their apple cider donuts. This out and back race takes place at the Orchard at 8:00am with registration and packet pick up starting at 7. One major perk of this race (besides the smell of the donuts) is that you can save 15% off your country store purchase after the race! Join in on the fitness, fun and apple donuts by visiting: http://www.fiferorchards.com/event/harvest-hustle-5k-walkrun/
Sunday, October 23rd:
- Mariner’s Bethel 7 mile & 5k Run / 3 Mile or 1 Mile Walk. Again one of my favorite places to run, The Assawoman Wildlife Refuge, provides the course for this amazing run or walk. The 7 Mile distance is such a great training run for anyone training for a fall half marathon. This race starts at 1:00 pm with the kiddie run taking place at 12:50. The race benefits the youth ministry at Mariner’s Bethel in Ocean View. Race Registration and packet pickup takes place at Camp Barnes. Be sure to stick around for the post race food which is OUT OF THIS WORLD and all homemade by the church members!!! To register, visit: http://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/14th-annual-mariners-bethel-7m-5k-trail-run
You can also read my recap from my last time running the 7-miler here.
- Delaware Pharmacy 5k Run/Walk. This race takes place in Smyrna at the Smyrna Municipal Park. The race starts at 9 with the kiddiek taking place at 8:50. For more information visit: http://www.trisportsevents.com/index.cfm?ref=50200&ref2=104
Saturday, October 29th:
- Fordham & Dominion Halloween Hustle 10k. This new race takes place at the Fordham & Dominion Brewery and is Halloween inspired and celebrates the release of the Dominion Oktoberfest beer! You are encouraged to wear costumes and stick around for the post race fun! The race starts at 9:30 am and will feature a food truck and music festival from 10-2. If you want to join a team then be sure to join the Team 10Keggers (Courtney’s team)! To register or find out more information, visit: http://www.greatamericanbreweryruns.com/fd10k
- Seaside 10 Miler/ 5k run. This annual race takes place on the Ocean City Boardwalk and heads north and then back for an easy race. The race starts at 9:00 at the Inlet parking lot. This year the race has teamed up with the OCtoberfest Shore Craft Beer Festival that takes place the same day, starting at 12:30. For more information or to register, visit: http://octrirunning.com/ocean-city-md-running-event/seaside-10-mile-run5k/
Sunday, October 30th:
- Seawitch Fall 5k Classic is now it its 27th year! WOW! This race starts at 9:00 am and I think at Grove Park (it is currently not listed on the website). This race is always attended well and also sports a costume contest with prizes! Along with the regular age group awards and costume awards they are also offering a monetary prize to beat the course record or the seawitch record! To register visit: http://www.seashorestriders.com/race-schedule/27th-seawitch-fall-5k-classic
- Chester River Challenge Half Marathon & 5k Run/Walk. The half marathon and 5k start at 9:00 at the Wilmer Park which is located across the street from the Chester River Association office. This race is part of the Downrugging Weekend that takes place in Chestertown, Maryland. The race benefits the Chester River Association and Sultana Projects. For more information visit: http://www.trisportsevents.com/index.cfm?ref=50200&ref2=71
- Sneakers and Creepers 5k Run/Walk. This race is organized by the local hospital, PRMC, and is FREE! This race starts at 9:00am and includes a costume contest! After the race enjoy some refreshments and some randomly awarded prizes! Register for the event here: https://www.peninsula.org/events/sneakers-creepers-5k-runwalk-2016
With all these race options over the next few weekends there are NO EXCUSES to not get some fitness and fun in this month! Hopefully the Jonesin’ Girls will see you at one or two of these starting lines!
Disclaimer: If I made a mistake or forgot a race- I am sorry! I try to find as many as I can but I know I do miss some sometimes. 🙂