Even though the area beaches are covered in snow I am thinking warm thoughts and want to link up with the DC Trifecta for Friday Five (Courtney, Cynthia & Mar) and share 5 races you must run at the beach!
I am lucky enough to live very close to the Atlantic Ocean which positions me near multiple beach towns ( Ocean City, MD, Bethany Beach, Delaware and even towns north such as Rehoboth and Lewes). These beach towns offer so many different and unique races that I want to share with you my top 5 favorites so hopefully if you are visiting you can run them as well!
- April Fools Prediction Challenge Run. This race is as crazy as it’s name. Seashore Striders has done this event for 22 years now and it has never lacked on fun, exciting or silliness! While most races are serious and very competitive this one is more of an adventure. The race does not have a set distance, instead you guess what the distance will be before the race, run the crazy course and then an award is given to the person who guesses closest to the exact course length (age group awards are also given). This race takes place this year on April 3rd at 10:00 at the Cape Henlopen State Park. The course is anywhere between 3-6 miles long and full of surprises along the way!
- “Beachy” Half Marathons. For this one I truly could not decide which half I wanted to share with you so I figured I would lump both races into one category. I have run both of these “beachy” races are both are flat and fun! The first is the Island to Island Half Marathon starting at Assateague Island and running to Ocean City Maryland. This race has a beautiful scenic start at Assateague and a gorgeous boardwalk finish in Ocean City. This year’s race take places on April 30th. You can read my recap from last year here.
The other “beachy” half is the Seashore Classic Half Marathon, Team relay and 5k. This race starts in Lewes and runs by the Cape May-Lewes Ferry terminal and through the Cape Henlopen State Park. While this is a smaller race it is not small on beauty or a fun after party! You can read my recap here. This year’s race is April 17th.
- Masser 5-Miler. I love everything about this race. It takes place on May 29th and to me, always kicks off the summer race season. It runs around the quaint little town of Lewes and finishes at the Cape Henlopen High School. I think I love this race so much because it was one of the many “race dates” me and my hubby went on during our dating time early in our relationship, plus it goes through Lewes which I am obsessed with. You can register for this race here.
- Ten Sister’s Dewey Beach Race Series. Races2Run goes all out, all summer long to bring you ten fun races. For a few years in a row a bunch of us ran every one of the series races and had the most fun summers ever. The races have grown considerably in size but are always a great way to kick off a weekend at the beach! While the series is mainly 5ks, there is also a 10k as well as the Bottle & Cork Ten Miler. This this ten miler is such an amazing race. It starts in Dewey, runs through the amazingly beautiful neighborhoods in Rehoboth, sends you down the boardwalk and around Silver lake to head back into Dewey to finish. This series has a race every weekend in the summer so if you are in town- definitely sign up for one!
- Ed Dean 4-Miler. While this race is not exactly on the beach, it is only a few miles from Bethany Beach. The 4-Miler starts at Magnolias restaurant and runs back through the Delaware Fresh Pond. While the Masser 5-Miler kicks off summer, this race usually caps my summer race season as it takes place August 27th. This race is unique as it is 4 miles, and partially a trail run. The after party at the restaurant is always fun as well! If you want more details on this race, check out the seashorestriders.com website.
Do you have a favorite race that takes place at the Delaware or Maryland Beaches? Be sure to let me know if you are running or racing at the beach and we can meet up!!