Mother’s Day is right around the corner! May 10th is going to be a very special day for me. Not only is it my first official Mother’s Day, but it will also be my first half marathon since Baby G was born. I am planning on running the Delaware half marathon, which is part of the Delaware Running Festival– the oldest and largest running festival in Delaware! There are lots of distances to choose from:
- Full Marathon – it’s a double loop course (half marathon course 2 times)
- Half Marathon – I love this course! Check out the description below
- 4 person relay marathon
- 8 person relay marathon
I have run this half marathon for the past 5 Years. There are several reasons why I keep coming back to this race.
- Parking – Plenty of race day parking at various lots within walking distance to the start line. I like to have minimal race day stress, and knowing there will be plenty of (free) parking is one last thing I have to worry about. I always park by the Blue Rocks stadium. It’s a nice easy walk to the start/finish line.
- Packet Pick-up – you can choose to pick up your packet the day before – or the morning of the event. Perfect for “out of towners” that have to drive in the day of the event. No need to book a hotel room if you don’t have to! Although, I am dying to stay at the new Westin in Wilmington, which is within walking distance to the start/finish line.
- Scenic Course – this race highlights the best features of Wilmington. You will run through the Peterson Wildlife Refuge, along the Christina River Boardwalk, through the Brandywine Zoo which runs along the Brandywine Creek, through beautiful homes and tree lined streets (think shade!!), through Wilmington’s Little Italy, and finish with a nice downhill half mile stretch through Wilmington’s business district. The course is very similar to the Caesar Rodney half marathon course – only without the dreaded hills at Rockford park. (You can read my CR Half recap here.)
- Enjoy some shade and refreshments after the race at the Tubman-Garrett Riverfront Park. According to the Delaware Marathon’s website, “the post race meal will include an All American BBQ from 2 Fat Guys Catering, Seasons Pizza, Pretzel Boys Soft Pretzels, Fresh Bananas from Shop Rite, Herr’s Snacks, Hy-Point Dairy Farms ice cream sandwiches and ice cold chocolate milk, Canada Dry Soft Drinks and Glaceau Vitamin Water, Michelob Ultra beer from NKS Distributors, and Champagne for all the runners from the Frank’s Wine Marathon team.” Yum – looks like there will be lots of goodies! This race has a great finishers area filled with trees, benches, and tables. There is also “tent sites” available to rent before the race. Bring your own canopy, chairs, and tailgate supplies to cheer on runners along the course. These sites are right along the course, and offer a wonderful meet up zone after running and are perfect for relay teams. My husband participated in the relay last year and had an amazing time (as you can tell from the pictures). He might have been the only guy on the team – but he had a great run and had an awesome time with the girls.
- Stay for brunch after the race! No need to rush home after your run. There are a ton of amazing restaurants along the waterfront with outside seating. Some of my favorites include: Iron Hill Brewery, Firestone, Big Fish Grill, and Timothy’s Riverfront Grill.
This is the perfect Mother’s Day race! There are so many running options available! Grab your friends and form a team, or go it alone with the half or full marathon option. Have you been looking for a spring race to add to your calendar? Is this just what you were looking for? Go ahead and sign up – and check out all the awesome things Wilmington has to offer.
Did you think this review was helpful? What types of information are you looking for in race reviews? Let us know what you think!