The Sweetest 5K Run/Walk in Delaware
Chocolate Lovers 5K at Delaware Tech – Terry Campus
Even though it rained the entire time – the Chocolate Lovers 5K was still amazing! The race was $20 preregistered, $25 race day registration. The event took place on the trail/road surrounding the Del Tech Terry Campus. Even though it was cold and raining – this event will now be officially included in my “running rotation”. Here are some things I loved about the race:
1. Registration was inside! No waiting outside in the cold rain for this race to start! Plus there is plenty of parking available at the campus.
2. Registration includes a long sleeve tech tee and the most amazing chocolate themed after party – all for CHEAP! And the proceeds from the race go to scholarships for Del Tech’s study abroad program. Everyone wins in this scenario!
3. Chocolate Everything! The after race party has chocolate fondue with various dipping items including strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, pretzels, and cookies; as well as brownies, chocolate chip cookies, macaroons, chocolate candy – and so much more! Plus you can’t forget the delicious hot chocolate with marshmallows, the perfect way to de-thaw after the race. The food is prepared under the direction of Del Tech’s chef and his team of culinary students – and it is on point! The after party is held inside, in a ballroom size room, so there is plenty of room to sit and chat with friends and family after the race.
4. The race had 394 participants! Not too shabby if you ask me! This makes the field challenging enough that the age group winners are competitive – but not so competitive that placing is out of question. I was only 5 seconds from a third place spot in my age group.
5. Prizes for (1) longest married couple, (2) Youngest married couple – newlyweds, and (3) the top fastest running couples. While Jimmy and I aren’t that fast…. We were crowned the Youngest Marred Couple. Hey, I will take a trophy any way I can get one!
I finished in 24:28. It’s been a long time since I have finished below 25 minutes – so I consider this a big success! Hope to see you all next year at this race – it really is one you should add to your calendar.